Agenda for Gathering Wisdom is Available Now!
The FNHC is pleased to share the draft agenda for the Gathering Wisdom for a Shared Journey forum on May 15-17, 2018 in Vancouver. The purpose of the forum this year is to promote dialogue among First Nations in BC on strategies to address the broader determinants of health and wellness, including the role of health, resilience and healing in Nation rebuilding. The forum will be an opportunity to hear from other First Nations in BC that are redesigning their governance to support more wholistic approaches to health and wellness in their communities. Based on feedback from past forums, the FNHC has invited First Nations from across BC to share their stories of health and wellness.
The forum will feature a number of panel presentations, including:
Role of Health, Resilience and Healing in Nation Rebuilding
- Herb George (Wet’suwet’en) and Sophie Pierre (Ktunaxa) will share lessons learned and possible strategies for supporting Nations on their journeys of healing and rebuilding.
Role of Leaders in Community Health and Wellness
- Chief Dean Nelson (Líl̓wat), Chief Nathan Matthew (Simpcw) and Chief Jackie Thomas (Saik’uz) will share lessons learned and successes in supporting the health and wellness journeys of their communities.
Wholistic Approaches to Health and Wellness Planning
- The Stikine Wholistic Working Group, the Wet’suwet’en Wellness Working Group, the Syilx and the Sts’ailes will share their stories of building wholistic health and wellness plans and programs that are grounded in the vision, values, culture and teachings of their Nations.
Presentation by Terry Cross
- We are excited to welcome back Terry Cross (Founder of the National Indian Child Welfare Association) to share his experiences supporting Tribes in the United States design effective services for Indigenous children and youth and new opportunities to work directly with First Nations in BC.
Tripartite Partnership on Mental Health and Wellness
- As reported at the Regional Caucuses this spring, the FNHC is proposing a partnership with Canada and BC to improve mental health and substance use services in BC. This panel presentation will be an opportunity to hear from the Government of Canada, the Province of BC, the FNHC and the FNHA on proposals to transform mental health and wellness services in BC.
Presentation by Joe Gallagher
- Joe Gallagher (Chief Executive Officer of the First Nations Health Authority) will talk about emerging priorities for the FNHA as a health and wellness partner to First Nations in BC.
It is important to note that there will be opportunities to talk to the FNHA throughout the forum. The FNHA will be hosting a series of information sessions to ensure communities can access information on key programs (e.g. Health Benefits). In addition, representatives from the FNHA will be available to meet with First Nations directly as requested.
Please see the link for the full agenda.
A reminder that the registration deadline for the Gathering Wisdom forum is this Friday (April 27, 2018). The FNHC is pleased to cover the costs of three (3) representatives from each First Nation community in BC to attend the Gathering Wisdom forum this year. If you have a role in health and wellness in your community, please visit www.gathering-wisdom.ca to register today!
Celebrating Culture and Wellness at Gathering Wisdom
The culture, language and identity of each Nation is an essential determinant of individual, family and community wellness. The Gathering Wisdom forum this year will feature cultural work and ceremony throughout the forum. This includes an honouring ceremony, cultural sharing, and wellness services. A reminder to bring your drums and regalia to participate in the cultural sharing on the first day of the forum.
In addition, the Gathering Wisdom forum will feature artisans from across BC, including jewelry, beadwork and buckskin work, prints and original paintings, cedar weaving, cedar carvings, and other arts and crafts.
How to Register
To register, please visit www.gathering-wisdom.ca and click ‘register’ to begin. Details on reserving a hotel room will be sent once registration is complete.
Based on feedback from past forums, the FNHC has simplified the registration process. The FNHC will cover the travel and accommodation costs for three (3) representatives from each First Nation community in BC to attend the Gathering Wisdom forum this year. This includes:
- One Political Lead (e.g. Chief, Councilor or Proxy)
- One Health Lead (e.g. Health Director, Community Health Representative or Health Portfolio Holder)
- One Social Lead (e.g. Band Administrator, Social Development Director or Social Development Worker)
As the discussion on the social determinants of health is broader than health services, we want to include representatives that have responsibility for health and social services in their community. It is up to each community to choose how they want to participate in the Gathering Wisdom forum this year within the three affiliations described above. Due to the nature and focus for this year, the participation of political representatives from each community is encouraged by the FNHC.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Friday, May 4, 2018.
Ensure to register by the deadline to guarantee your seat and hotel room. After this date, registration cannot be guaranteed.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.